Suicide Safer Copeland – Launch Event
Tuesday 7th May 6.00-7.30pm
Whitehaven RLFC, The Recreation Ground, Coach Road, Whitehaven, Cumbria, CA28 9DD
FREE to attend and refreshments will be available.
This event is for anyone in the Copeland community with an interest in reducing suicide. An opportunity to find out more about;
· Suicide Safer Copeland’s activity and plans
· How you can get involved and make a difference
· What training is available locally
Suicide is everyone’s business.
On average we lose one person a week to death by suicide in Cumbria. More than double the number who die on our counties roads. Cumbria’s suicide rates remain stubbornly higher than the national average, and a disproportionate amount of these deaths are also focused on the West coast of Cumbria.
Very importantly, around three quarters of people who die by suicide are not in contact with any mental health services in the year leading up to their death, meaning suicide prevention needs to be community wide concern. It is friends, family, work colleagues, neighbours and our network of community and voluntary organisations, not just those in NHS services, who have an important part to play in saving lives. Suicide is everyone’s business.
Suicide Safer Copeland aims to reduce the stigma, increase understanding of when someone is at risk suicide, awareness of how to practically support someone, and the range of help and resources available for people in our communities experiencing suicidal thoughts. We will do this through;
1. Suicide Prevention Awareness and Anti-stigma campaigning through local communities and media
2. Supporting grassroots community action
3. Delivery of a range of suicide prevention training in each locality
4. Targeting training at high risks groups
5. Community Postvention support and awareness raising
6. Developing localised cross community Suicide Prevention Action Plans
For more details
Or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07908 537541